Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Nissan Scratch Shield iPhone Case

I know how to repair steering parts and I know how to diagnose a failed turbocharger, but I cannot figure out how to keep my iPhonecase scratch free.  Yes, the whole reasonwhy you buy a case is so that it gets the scratches instead of the phone, but Iam a car guy so any type of scratches bothers me.  Well, it looks like it annoyed some other,more important car guys too.  Nissan hascome out with an iPhone case that heals itself from scratches.

The Japanese car company says this case is the first one tohave “self-healing technology.” At first this sounded unbelievable, like somethingout of a science fiction movie.  This isa phone case, not an alligator’s tail. Nevertheless, as I read more about thecase it sounded more plausible.

The iPhone case’s outer layer of paint is the same scratchproof paint Nissan uses on some of their vehicles.  The active ingredient that makes this stuffmagical is called polyrotaxane.  (It’sword like polyrotaxane that make me happy to be a writer and not a reporter. Icouldn’t pronounce that correctly if you gave me a hundred tries.) When thecase gets dinged the chemicals flexible structure reacts by reverting back toits original state.  This action makes itlook like the case is healing itself.   Smallscratches can take less than an hour to heal, while deeper cuts can take up toa week.


The case is currently on a trial run in Europe.  If tests go well and demand is high, Nissanwill bring the iPhone case to market.  Iam not sure why they are spending all this money on testing these cases.  They could have just given my 3 year old nephewone of these things for a day and found out its true power.   

No comments:

Post a Comment